I am by no means a talented baker. I’ve made my own homemade bread before but it always comes out too dense or doesn’t rise properly or has some other quirk. Even the so called easy recipes don’t always do right for me but celebrating the approaching fall makes me feel like baking and eating baked goods, and a store bought cake mix just isn’t going to cut it so…
Quick Breads to the Rescue!
Quick breads are breads that don’t require the use of yeast as a leavening agent, therefore they take a lot less time to make. No kneading dough and waiting for it to rise in carefully controlled conditions. You just mix the ingredients and go. Just about anyone can do it.
Today, I will share my favorite super simple banana bread recipe. It can be ready in 30 minutes from start to finish and my family loves it!
- flour (about a cup)
- brown sugar (about 1/4 cup to 1/2 cup to taste)
- pinch of baking soda (don’t add too much or you can taste in the bread)
- dash of salt
- 2 or three very ripe bananas
- 1 egg
- splash of milk (like 2 TBS)
- a shake or two of ground cinnamon if desired.
- Preheat oven to 350
- mix all dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl
- mash peeled banana with a fork and add to mixture
- add butter and splash of milk, then beat in one egg
- mix it all together
- pour into a greased baking pan
- bake in oven until inserted fork comes out clean
- Enjoy yummy banana bread that your family will love, tastes great with butter melted on top.